Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Dating Wheel of Fortune

Okay, my title has nothing to do with my content, except the dating bit. I was reading the top tips for dating somewhere - magazine or msn tidbit or something - (not that I'm looking for dates, but I'm interested in our culture and date spot ideas to take my mate to), anyhow, one of the top turnoffs listed in date conversation, right after discussing marraige, was discussing politics.

So sad! What's wrong with being interested in and discussing current events and your thoughts on relevant world situations. World drama plays out in the most fascinating ways, certainly better than the latest episode of Actors on Island Shoving Worms up their Noses then Bad Talking Each Other or something like that. It's been a while since I kept up with tv, but last I checked it was mostly people making asses of themselves, arguing and competing in embarrassing ways for some barely relevant reward, and I'm not just talking about Fox News and CNN. What are you supposed to talk about? Work? fun fun fun!

So, just so you know - the first night I met my significant other - we discussed culture and politics, card games involving animal noises and Monty Python's classic Holy Grail flick. About ten years later and we are still together, still discussing politics and current events, but the card game and the Holy Grail haven't come up in a while.

This is a matter of concern for me. The seeming lack on interest in politics by our general public. At the risk of not really being all that anonymous, I recently asked my friends on another bloggish-like site to share with me what they want in a president and the replies were non-specific and minimalist at best. All love and respect to these people, whom I appreciate and I understand are busy too, but one mentioned they might vote for Oprah another for some other celebrity who isn't coming to mind right now (maybe Johnny Depp, he seems popular right now). Not that I'm totally against Oprah for president. I'd have to take a close look at her stance on a lot of issues. But it concerns me that people (albeit I'm judging on a tiny sampling) don't seem to think about this stuff much. I could and did rattle off 3 pages off the top of my head in what I'd like to see in a president. So I'm thinking, no wonder Bush got elected. He seems like a nice guy you could down a beer with at a BBQ, what more do you need in a world leader? I did get one good idea. This person said they wanted an educated and intelligent president, somebody with a degree in something other than politics or law. That's a solid start.

So I was watching Dave Chappelle's Block Party movie and was impressed with how positive it felt. All the artists on there have "statements" to make, so to speak, but they seem to understand it's important to live too. I'm not sure that makes sense, but I guess for those of us blessed with the good life, we should be grateful for it and enjoy it. Not to the point of being ignorant of the larger issues in the world and trying to say something about them, but not becoming flagellants or the like. I also discovered that I have a small celeb crush on Mos Def. I know all the ladies are liking Johnny Pirate these days, but Mos Def is a little sweeter to me. But it'll pass I'm sure, don't know that I'll ever get a chance to bcome friends with the guy after all, but there is something likable about him. I also saw him recently in an episode of the Boondocks cartoon. I might not keep watching it because it's kindof on the violent side and they say 'bitches' too much for my taste. I'm also annoyed that Aaron McGruder in his little interview kept saying that he didn't want to make any social or political statement, that he just wanted to make something new and interesting and funny for entertainment. I thought that was a chicken shit stance to take. If he isn't bothering to say something important then the show is just really insulting for no reason.

In honor of the joy of living I will now go and do my laundry. Best to you my one reader.

Stay strong!

1 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

Mos Def is hawt.

Ahem.

I can tell you why I don't like discussing politics much -- I'm a horrible debater (HORRIBLE) and if I'm talking to someone who disagrees with me, I come away like a blubbery idiot. If I'm talking to someone who AGREES with me, well, then, what's the point? ;)

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home